Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Beverage updates...beer please.

We just keep re-visiting this topic don't we! do we have the attention of the guys now?

The debate continues….

What is the best liquid fuel for athletes prior to competition? Feel free to take this quiz:

• Water
• Sports drink
• Coffee
• Beer

I’ve tried all of these, BUT two beers and a shot of Jagermeister before the Santa Speedo Run is not exactly for performance reasons. Anxiety maybe…

(:

I ran into a long-time running friend today, in a running store of course, this amazing runner also coaches athletes, so I think he knows a few things about the sport. We’ll leave his name un-mentioned for now, he’s one of those strong, silent types I suspect. I’ve also lost track of the number of marathons he’s completed, possibly an average of 5-6 per year in the 15 years that I have known him, and oh so many marathons between and .

But never a sub-3:00 hr marathon in Boston!

Until we brought Beer into the equation.

This year however, our friend did manage a P.B. in Boston, his first under in fact, and do you want to know what he did differently this time around, after 11 previous attempts?

Train Harder...unlikely.

Better weather...not really.

Better pre-race preparation...did you spend winter in Canada (circa 2008)?


To make a long story short, on the bus to the start, said friend has a tall-boy (can) passed to him approx. 60-minutes before the gun goes off. Talk about a tip from the back of the bus...

I guess after so many attempts one has to just say:

"What the ^%^$!"

Crack open the can.

Guzzle.

Relax.

Hopefully pee.

P.B.

(:

My kinda strategy, but how do I sneak a can onto the bike course at ironman this year?


P.D.
peter@mynextrace.com