Total Pageviews

Monday, June 9, 2008

The beer mile

Something tells me I really have your attention now...

Finally…

A race suited to my disposition! Strong stomach, excellent track speed, ability to withstand pain and suffering over a short period of time. Most importantly though:

Willing to embarrass myself for no particular logical reason…

Never heard of this event before? Read more here –

www.beermile.com

Or search on you-tube for some hilarious videos. Not exactly what De Coubertin had in mind when he created the Olympic movement.

“Higher, Faster, Stronger” suddenly becomes “Puke and it’s an extra lap”.

The cardinal rule of the Beer Mile….

So, thanks to Facebook, I hear from some friends about this underground activity, and jump at the chance to put another notch on the sports-endurance ladder:

- marathon (check)
- adventure race (check)
- 24hr cycling event (check)
- 24hr running relay event (check)
- ultra race (not yet)
- cycling criterium (not yet)
- triathlon (check)
- ironman (almost a check, we’re still in training here, the entry is “in”)
- indoor track race on spikes (I made this up, but it’s cool, and tough)
- crazy, un-planned long-distance attempt of any kind (many here, mostly on a bike - like attempting Vaughan, ON to Niagara Falls on a mountain bike, without a map...)


It hasn’t exactly been the first time I really thought about this, every year I run a popular, local 10km race on a team called 9 Drunks and a Runner, so we talk about the Beer Mile every time. Being a promoter, I even had a meeting once with the president of a local beer company, to look into bringing this “underground” event “above ground”. He was all in favour of the idea, however his staff were a little “queasy” and the City of Toronto permit people were quite against the idea (although two emailed me separately and wanted to enter)!

Now, being the competitive type, I immediately determine that PRACTICE is needed, after-all, “practice makes perfect”, no? It must be noted that it will not be the first time I exercise while under the influence (E.W.U.T.I.). Ever heard of the Santa Speedo Run? Go ahead and google that event and see what you find, but at only 2-3km and at a leisurely pace, it’s not comparable to going to the wall around a track.

Of course the colder weather would certainly “speed” things up immeasurably here…

My only question is now, regular or light?

Stay tuned for the secret training update...


P.D.
peter@mynextrace.com