Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Raven Run Part 2

I can't believe this guy is sucking us in to run 8 miles, I can still feel the Corona in my belly.  It's pretty warm, it's now 4:45 and the group is antsy.

"We just ate, so maybe we can just take some pictures and join you tonite for the dinner"

Sarah nods approvingly, fear and shock would better describe her facial expression when I suggest maybe we should run then.   "It's only eight miles, and we can walk/run it".  

Raven:   "You can't attend the dinner if you're not in "the book".

Sarah:  "What book?"

Peter:  "There's  a book too?"

Sexy Canadian:  "Well it's actually a list, of every runner who has ran 8 miles with the Raven".

Canuck:  "C'mom, you have to run now, you are here, and you'll get a nickname too"

Sarah and Peter:   "A nickname"?

Raven:  "So are we running or what"....


(you get the jist of the conversation, as I mull over the possibility, and Sarah recovers from the reality that instead of another round of margaritas on a patio, after  an easy bike ride, she may have to run again, with the wrong bra no less)


Peter:   (to Sarah).   "We have to run, we may not be here tomorrow, or for another year in fact!"

Josh pipes in (my friend and exposure #1):   "You are running aren't you?"

Peter:  (to Raven)  "How fast do you guys go?"

Raven:  "After 35 years...trust me...it's not that fast"

Sexy Canadian:  "But you have to be back before Raven leaves the beach or you don't get on the list"

Sarah and Peter:   "Rats".   

Sarah:   "We just ate, and I am not dressed.  No way can I do this, especially after eating``

Peter:  ``Ì will go with you (famous last words, every runner has said this to a slower companion)....it will be fun, trust me (more famous last words).


So the group takes off, we`re at the back, and now there are 20 runners, Raven starts Roll Call and introduces the new people.  What a memory, and he mentions my World Record too (mascot marathon).  He also appreciates me and Commando in our barefeet, so he asks me what my nickname will be.  Apparently, he makes up alot of runner`s nicknames, but he senses my marketing savvyness and before long (8 seconds) I decide that Mascot is appropriate.   I could have gone with Promoter but Frankie Ruiz from the Miami Marathon has that name down.  (there are no duplicates on `the list`)

Raven remembers everyones nicknames, how long they have been running with him, and other tidbits to pass the first stretch south towards the pier.   We are also in the midst of special members today, Warrior most among them.  He was extremely overweight, out of shape and un-motivated two years earlier, living up north when he heard about Raven.  He shared with me that one day he decided, enough was enough, he wanted to change his lifestyle for the better.  He moved to Miami Beach, got fitter, started running 80 days ago and hasn`t missed a day!  This included the day prior, when he ran his first marathon AND ran 8 miles on the beach that afternoon.

No wonder his nickname is warrior!   He is going after the most auspicious Raven record of the lot, the most consecutive days running with the legend himself, which is actually owned by Poutine, a Canadian gal whom we met at dinner that evening.  Her streak ended un-ceremoniously at 151 days when she went back to Canada for the birthday of a relative (soft).   So now after less than a few miles, I start to have a fond and growing respect for what`s going on here.  Imagine the impact of this one individual, transforming his life and now inspiring others to do the same.  How the hell can I quit now!

Sarah and I though are quickly suffering from the heavy stomach, her sore legs and my aching body.  The main group sticks together and you quickly notice the stares and attention from late day sun worshippers collecting a few more rays of skin cancer.

There are many joggers and power-walkers, fast runners and certainly many have no idea of the history passing them by.   Speaking of passing, the lead group is already coming back the other way, and everyone encourages each other so it`s inspiring.   There are 4 routes I believe, this is south, north past the starting point, back to the pier, north again a little further than before, then all the way back to the pier a 3rd time (killer time now), then finally at the Lifeguard station.

Sarah and I are so far behind after a few miles, I worry that we`ll both miss the cut-off.  We`re as committed now as a couple of pigs at a slaughterhouse, so this could get ugly.  For the first time in a long time, I don`t want to finish a run and Sarah seems further behind mentally than I am.  I have quit very few races in my 16 years of running, but more than a handful of training runs have been bailed on.  This seems different, even on vacation and the day after a half-marathon (which I always take off btw).

Not only are the Raven runners supporting us, but I sense something regretful if I don`t finish today.   The sun is setting, and I start to selfishly think of myself.   ``Sarah can always run again tomorrow, and being a newbie may not care to miss out on making `the list`.   But I HAVE TO finish...so she lets me take off, as I proceed down to the water where the sand allows me to pick up the pace considerably, in my barefeet.  I am certain she`s toast, like some of the sun worshippers among us.

Pretty soon, I find my gears, and start whipping along the beach, catching up to the pack.  I am amazed at how nimble I soon feel, nothing quite like a change of scenery, on a soft surface, to dig up some long lost running inspiration.  I head back up the flat, hard, wide section of the beach, the first point of entry from the sidewalk.  There is a very large middle section, where the sunbathers, chairs and umbrellas fill in, then the hard-packed, jelly fish littered, cantered section adjacent to the Atlantic Ocean.  I have almost caught up to the group, passing Sarah once more and stopping to encourage her.   She`s doing okay, but I worry that she won`t make it before Raven finishes.  We`re almost done but she still has a ways to go.  Thankfully, Canuck has to finish his run by heading further north, so he joins her on the lonely, last section furthest north on today`s route.  (regulars are allowed to improvise their runs by running to the start, thus running back to homes and condos and still qualifying as a `run`with Raven``

I finally finish but not before passing Sarah one last time, as she heads south again for her last mile.  She`s ecstatic, which surprises me, and even refuses my water.  Ì have it! she exclaims, like she must mean the winning lottery ticket to last evenings`draw.   Or she found a 1000-year old Spanish Gold antique lying under the sand.

`My nickname`she cries, as if it was the answer to the Holy Grails resting place.  `Northen Dancer!   How appropriate I comment, you like to Salsa, grew up among horses in Kentucky and are also a Canadian.

Well how about that, we all need inspiration in many ways, shapes and forms and Sarah covered more ground today than she ever had as a `runner`.

Thank you Raven.