Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

45 and 45

Thanks to Bruce from Barrie (I believe)...for the credit on this post, and maybe a few more. 

I always encounter interesting athletes at our booth on race day, over the years in so many venues, cities and situations.  Some I would rather not be reintroduced to!   Recently, at the Mercedes 10km Run where they actually give out a free, kick-ass car for a year's use, a guy stops at the table to ask this question.

Guy:   "How many of these races on your table give out medals?"

Me:  "You only want to attend a race that gives a medal"?

Guy: "I need to find 40 races that give out a medal at the finish line, in the next year"

Me:  (under my breath....so that's what the sport has come to, a medal or nothing...loser...)

Me: "Hhmmm, let's have a look, that's the first time I've had this request before".   We comb the 6-foot table covered with over 50 races and events, like we're digging for something valuable like Gold.

Me: "How about Clevelend next weekend, there are 3 races here, all with medals"

Guy:  (he actually, excitedly grabs the Cleveland Marathon, 1/2 and 10km race entry postcard, has he ever been to Cleveland?)


A few minutes later, another satisfied customer walks away from MyNextRace.com.   But he got me thinking, why does he want these medals, as I wonder where my 200+ medals must be, a box somewhere I gather.  So in the crowd I go find him, curiosity killed this cat.

tap on shoulder


Me:  "Aahh, me again, may I ask why you wanted only races that gave out medals at the finish line?"

Guy:  "I turn 40 this year and want to do 40 races."

Me: "That sounds logical"


Seriously though...very interesting....something to ponder, which I did all day....yeah, Sunday's should be like that!

I turn 45 myself in a month, how many races have I already run this year, maybe it's not such a bad idea afterall.  Medals however aren't necessary for me, just the race bib would do fine, plus I expect to get in better shape and win a few hard-earned age group medals myself.  My best year ever was probably 25 races, and I really did "race" alot of those, whereas now it would be just to finish I imagine. 

Here is where I stand in 2011

  • Miami Half-Marathon, as me. 
  • Gasparilla (Tampa) Half-Marathon as Jefferson (that should count as 2 races shouldn't it)? 
  • Achilles Toronto St. Patrick's Day 5km (as Jefferson, but it was slow, cold and easy in all the fur).  
  • Spring Run Off 8km in High Park
  • Sporting Life 10km
  • 5 races and counting, but four months in already, crap.  I was just @ two this weekend and decided not to run either of them!

At this pace I stand little chance, however, there are so many races in our local calender alone, my head starts to spin, I love this idea!   At least one weekend a month I would be able to do 3-4 races as there are many evening selections available, and, some mornings it's quite possible to run a 5km at 8 am and another within an hours drive at 10 am.  Plus, how about all the Master's Track events like 1500's and such, those are mid-week and easy to finish.  (now I am already cheating the system)......

Now who is nuts here or what......

Back at the office, I mention this to David, the company (present) fastest runner and avid toer of the line. (that means he likes to race folks).  "My birthday is 8 days apart from yours".

Game On.

Now we have to decide on a starting point, rules and regulations (does a charity bike ride count, if it's 3-4 days of solid riding, or how about multiple stages in a relay race where you have a definitive, start-finish point and it's clocked) and finally, prizes!   Do we start at our respective birthdays, moving forward 12 months, or do we start on the first day of this calender year (January 1st), and count races within the calender year?

Any suggestions?

Anyone reading this turning 50, or 60???

(:



PD
peter@mynextrace.com
aka Jefferson Mascot