Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

45 and 45 - Progress Report

Well this is going to be a rather long year I suspect…if the first 5 races are any indication, and I will spend more money on race entries in the next year than the last 9 combined!
You can read more on how this started here……

http://www.mynextrace.com/2011/05/45-and-45/

It was innocent enough, fairly straightforward, not that difficult when you consider how many races I actually attend in person in a given year.   I even found some company from the get go, a runner who not only heard about my intentions but as a recently turned 41 year old, she became an inspiration.   “It’s not just me who is crazy……”

The first few races were not exactly text book preparation, race #1 was a 10km on a Sunday morning not far from home, but I was late on arrival and barely made it through registration, hurredly pinning my race bib and snapping a photo (here).    Thankfully Jefferson was completely distracted and stopped to sniff a million times, so my finish time won’t really matter, in fact it was so rushed they didn’t get my race entry processed fast enough!  Plenty of time to fix this later…..

My 45th birthday was June 21st, so this was on the 26th, two days later I was at a big client race and again, worked too hard with our tent, display and 200 free sunglass giveaways, so the 5km actually started while I was rushing to the line.  My time was okay considering I didn’t get my pre-race “dump” (20:47), which for me is more important than even a fast pair of flats.  Pardon the straightforward truth of this!  

Fours days hence, 2 more races were knocked down, the 3rd a 5-miler on a golf course that again took place in a hurry….literally I was pinning my bib to my shirt and bounding out of the clubhouse like Tiger when I see the first wave of runners zooming by.  At least with chip timing I was able to join a slower wave and weave my way through a pack of runners on a windy, hilly course.  I’ve played far better rounds here!   (38:00) …and could have hit some balls along the way and not hurt my time!

Finally, race #4 was a decent effort, slight improvement on the 5km (20:11) although it did nothing to help our MyNextRace team at the annual Pride Run, first time I can recall where i didn’t count in the standings.   At least it wasn’t too rushed and we had fun post-race – guess which picture here is from that event???    lol    I actually ran 2x this evening, the warm up with a few hundred kids was entertaining as I donned the jefferson mascot outfit and stumbled along in the heat for 1km, very difficult with all these little kids around me, but the stricter than Scottish rules for this year-long contest forbid anything less than 5km from counting….but we`ll see who logs the most `miles`in all these races!

I will post a seperate entry for race #5, it requires some thought, a crazy day at my first Warrior Dash.  My body is hanging on, I have to make a regular point to stretch more, visit the chiro and improve my diet a little, getting under 20:00 for 5km is the first goal, then under 40:00 for the 10km and eventually breaking 1:30 for a half which will be a first for a long, long time.  Along the way I plan on mixing it up with some cycling races, adventure races and a couple of triathlons.  Maybe another run in fur too....

My overall pace is good, 2-3 more races should be completed in the next 5 days, so well ahead of pace…..at least it`s not 100 races like Katherine TRYJANKOWSKI from Buffalo, poor thing, she finished number 31 at the Peach Bud, a third of her way finished after 6 months….yikes….and you thought I was weird…..

Peter