Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

ATHLETE INTERVENTION!!!

I believe you may know where I am going with this, possibly you are reading this and we're talking about you.

I meet alot of people in the course of my day-to-day travels, conversations and communications with athletes.  I have also "been there", "done that" when I look back on my running career and found myself avoiding social situations and once doing a track work-out at on a saturday nite...

(:

Fortunately, I didn't go full tilt and abandon all sense of reason, I always took time off (average of one day/week) and I still managed to squeeze some tennis, golf and other activities into my training.  And, I still pursued a normal social life, for the most part, whatever that means!

Lately though....

As I embark on this Ironman mission, I have started to notice that there are way too many un-balanced folks out there, especially among the triathlon crowd.  To be fair, cyclists and adventure racers can be pretty intense too, so let's just throw everyone into the same category:

"endurance junkies".

Are you one?

Here are some examples, see if you fit.

- one guy I know thru a friend is running a marathon every week for six straight weeks, all driving distance and within Ontario (Scotia Waterfront, P.E.C., Ottawa Fall Colours, Toronto Goodlife Marathon, Niagara, Hamilton)

Is this normal?  Is it healthy?  Certainly not environmentally friendly....(:


- a local, well-known Dentist in Toronto has run consecutively for 30 years, no days off, we've referred to these athletes in prior blogs, streakers...and this same Dentist will run his 200th marathon this month