Total Pageviews

Monday, August 11, 2008

The new challenge

Well, my Ironman training is well under way...finally.

I procrastinated immensely all spring and summer, a little bit of training here and there, too much partying and socializing, no training plan that any newbie would want to follow!

Having just completed my first 1/2 Ironman, yesterday, I now know how difficult it will be to get out of the water ALIVE with 2000+ other swimmers fighting for the same limited space, and how tough the run will be after the 180km bike ride.

Having suffered enough with the training, which will only intensify on many weekends this fall, I have already set my sights on the next challenge! And why not...getting in serious shape now means I can look at something else....

The last time I was getting fit, I decided to try a 2-day adventure race, over 20 hours over two days of sheer mud, rain and madness, still an unforgettable memory, something I expect that an Ironman will deliver. I also entered around that time a 24hr mtn. bike race, which included a scary mid-morning ride when my lights went out.

Two end-over the handlebar wipeouts later, I was hooked...

http://www.mynextrace.com/Article280.htm

...This summer, a good friend did the Trans Rockies Bike Race, which appeals to me as an ex-mountain biker, and an ex-client started up the BC Bike Race, so this has to be put on "the list"....

..plus the Paris-Robaix bike race, the amateur version of course, and a new client has introduced the Sears National Cancer Ride, coast-to-coast from Vancouver to Halifax on a bike!

I think I need a bigger ass though....

Then I am at my booth this past weekend for a trail race, and some guy shows up with a t-shirt, "TransAlp" cycling/stage race or something. It was actually a non-descript, plain cotton shirt, but it had a bunch of cities / countries connected by dots...

..This guy looked like an accountant, so I figured if he could do it, maybe I could too! I'm on the website today, these Germans' really know how to put on a show, how could I get lost???

Ha ha

This is actually a pre-planned strategy of mine, to plan the next adventure before the one I am training for is done, to keep thinking ahead and avoiding the major letdown that can occur after another notch is accomplished on the ladder of life and sport...

Try it!

Happy racing,


P.D.
peter@mynextrace.com