Total Pageviews

Friday, July 18, 2008

Bird bath etiquette

Never heard of an endurance sports bird bath?

Read on, you may find yourself in the same washroom one day!

I was first introduced to the concept when I first started running, but I believe it was already in my nature and disposition to act thus when I played competitive tennis and golf. Both sports had the added element of post-match socializing, and as often as possible I preferred to clean myself up before sitting down for the apres sport time (beer, salty snacks and commisserating over that missed shot)

Especially after a 5-hr round in hot and humid weather, or a three-setter, a marathon practice session with Chris, my long-time tennis buddy. He never did, which is why I sat down-wind....

Running can produce amazing endorphins as we know, but also quirky habits among us. The lucky few can complete a 30-45-60 minute run, or longer, and immediately sit down in the same clothes and hang out sipping coffee.

Me, I almost always prefer to change out of my wet clothes, and into something cool, cotton and dry, except on some fair-weathered fall days, or in early spring. If I really sweat, I like to clean off a little with a wet face-cloth, which is where I first heard of the proper term, "bird bath"....

(:

Showers are not always available, especially when you run in so many interesting, out-of-the way places like I do.

So...

Back to the public washroom in High Park the other weekend morning....

A place I have found myself many times, changing into something else, and it's a crowded scene here on a hot and muggy mid-summer morning. The usual suspects are here, including my friend (name withheld for obvious reasons) who, of European background, has no problem getting buck naked to change his clothes...

Rule #1 - not a good idea in a WASHROOM (not a changeroom gentleman) to strip down in front of the guy who just came in to wash his hands....

Before I can say FULL MONTY, another guy props his leg up onto the counter, and starts LATHERING and SCRUBBING his legs....soap, water, energy, effort...

Rule #2 - the bird bath is exactly how it sounds, discreet, elegant, simple, it's not called ELEPHANT BATH for this reason, so anything other than face, neck and hands, arm pits, the crotch area....you get the idea. It's even okay and advisable for some to pop a little deodorant back-on, especially those who forgot in the morning as they headed out the door..

(think of yourself as a cat, or a dog, NOT)!!!

Rule #3 - if you really have to get naked, or use the entire washroom area as your personal, public cleansing station, then lock yourself behind the bathroom stall door where we can avoid the un-sightly and un-attractive...


Got it everyone?

Good.

Keep running....


PD
peter@mynextrace.com